Clicky

Monday, March 16, 2020

COVID-19: Taking Care of Widows and Orphans


Let me start by saying, “I think I was wrong.”

Those of you who know me know that’s not the easiest thing in the world for me to say.  But I’m saying it: “I’m pretty sure I was wrong.

I was one who said, “this is all being blown out of proportion.” News media was twisting things. It wasn’t any more severe than the flu, so why were we getting so excited? I was convinced it was a big to-do about nothing. Let me say it again: “I believe I was wrong.” That is not to say I think we needed to run out and buy 44 rolls of toilet paper (seriously, get a grip people!). That is not to say I’m huddled at home in fear and trembling. But I am ready to admit that I was wrong… and to plan on staying home. Not in fear. But in an effort to do my part to slow the spread.

I’m honestly not afraid of the virus. I’m not in a high-risk category. I’m healthy. Relatively young (lol). Decent hygiene. Strong immune system. And I know where my final destination is. (Although I’d hate for my kids to lose a parent even as a young adult!)  But here’s the thing: Jesus told us to take care of widows and orphans. And after watching the personal accounts coming out of Italy, and what other countries across the world are doing/have done… I have to think that asserting my “rights” to gather and move about at will is probably not what Jesus was concerned about when he told us to take care of the widows and orphans.

I was actually out and about yesterday afternoon… I wanted to see the new movie “I Still Believe” mostly because I’ve been looking forward to it and partly because I didn’t want it to tank because of the virus. But it was while we were out that I began for the first time to believe that maybe I should be altering my behavior more than I already had. I’d been being careful the last few days… washing hands after handling a menu… trying to avoid touching. But....

But the account I read from a doctor in Italy about how they don’t have enough equipment and are having to make the decisions about which patients get the ventilators, etc…. another post from a nurse there… another from one of our US military families there (https://www.facebook.com/jon.steele.562/posts/10222043799788910)... and an account of someone in the DFW area who most likely has the virus but was sent home without testing because they weren’t high risk enough and we don’t have enough test kits… Yeah, I’ve changed my mind. Trying to prevent myself from catching it isn’t what’s really important. It’s trying to prevent myself from spreading it. It’s putting others’ needs above my own desires.

COVID-19 may not be more deadly than the flu. It may be mild for most people. But because we may not know we even have it for two weeks, it’s more likely to spread. When we get the flu, we know pretty quickly we’re ill. We don’t go out in public till it’s cleared. This is different. Italy’s medical community is overwhelmed, having to make tough choices about which patients receive the resources – which patients live or die - because they didn’t take it seriously in the beginning… just like many of us haven’t here. They don’t WANT to make those decisions… they HAVE to.

I repeat – I’m not panicking! I’m not living in fear. I am most definitely not hoarding. Truth is I’d normally be out grocery shopping today – getting my fresh meat for the week -- but I have decided not to. Not because I’m afraid to go out, but because I don’t need to. I know I have stuff in the deepfreeze... and... some people don’t. Grocery shelves have been wiped out by fear-driven people. My daughter watched a coworker struggle not to cry yesterday as she had to tell a customer that they were completely out of baby food. Honestly, that’s a reason to cry. To cry for that parent trying to just feed their child. To cry for our nation at what we’ve become.

There is a difference between healthy fear and non-healthy fear. God gave us fear to help keep us alive. It does serve a purpose. But unhealthy fear drives us to think only of ourselves. Hoarding, panicking, is not what I’m doing or saying we should do. But concern for others… taking the needs of others into consideration… that’s what my Jesus taught. Take care of widows and orphans.

I do think we’ve got a good chance for better outcome here than what Italy is seeing – we have nearly 3x as many critical care beds available per capita. On the other hand, the account I referenced above from a US military family in Italy paints Italy in a better light – people caring for one another instead of emptying out a grocery store based on what-ifs and fear. We live in a nation of rugged individuality. Italy appears to be more family/community driven. What can be our strength can also be our downfall. We need to quit fending for ourselves and start taking others’ well-being into consideration. It’s not as simple as them staying home… they need people to care for them.

This social distancing is not something I take lightly. I have friends who work hourly for the school systems that depend on that income. Friends who waitress. I have my own daughter and her roommates who’ve just begun their post-college lives working for a production company (Kayla) and as tech support for Toby Mac’s tour (her roommates). They are recent college grads with a year lease in a town that is built on the entertainment business. A business that has ground to a sudden, shocking halt. They are kids with college loans that just became due. I believe at least one of them pays more in college loans than she does rent. It’s not as easy as hunkering down with a book and the tv remote for some people. It’s scary. It’s overwhelming. For a LOT of people. They worry about the rent… how they are going to eat. I get that and my heart breaks. Somehow, we’ve got to care for them, too.

I don’t have all the answers. I don’t think I even have all the questions. But I do have my Savior’s example – serve others. I do have His words – “care for the widows and orphans.” And right now, I believe that caring for them means doing my part to slow the spread, not worrying about and asserting my “freedoms.” We’re only a couple of weeks behind Italy. We’ve got to do something different. Italy is not something the media made up. It’s real. It’s happening. Taiwan took faster action and despite their closer proximity to China are doing much better than Italy. (see https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/11/what-the-rest-of-the-world-can-learn-from-taiwans-success-containing-coronavirus/)

One more thing… if you’re in my area… and are someone who shouldn’t be going out to shop… and you need groceries… I’m willing to do that for you. I can’t guarantee that the packages and bags I hand you would be virus-free. I don’t know how we can get around that possibility for everything we bring into our homes. But I can help you stay away from the general public. I wish I could do better.

NOTE: after writing this, I learned that the Busco Sav-U-More is doing their part to slow the spread. From their FB post:

“For the safety of our customers, we are now offering a drive through option you can utilize. Call or email us with your order, and we will get everything for you (with gloves on) and you can pick it up and pay at our drive through, minimalizing exposure for you. Call 260-693-2708 or email at savumor. jh@gmail.com. Certain items we might not have due to demand.”


-jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment